- IoT is already here, it isn’t something that is coming. It is here and it is the future, it will just become more prominent.
- Expect billions of IoT objects by 2020. [3:25]
- Machines talking to each other with all kinds of sensors sharing information instantly.
- Smart cars, Smart homes, etc. It is all getting smart, not just our phones.
What kinds of things are in the IoT?
- Cars [5:17]
- Appliances and home gear like TV, Fridge, Light bulbs, thermostats
- Imagine sensors in cement that will monitor for cracks or stress fractures developing in buildings and bridges. [9:41]
- Same sensors send information like ice on a bridge to your car as it approaches.
- Smart parking monitors where open parking can be found
- Water quality and water level sensors in rivers, lakes, etc
- Plant watering monitors that report the exact conditions of the soil
- Trash bins that detect when they need to be emptied and call for pick-up in city parks
- Roads that sense climate and traffic conditions
- Shelves that can order their own inventory or even in your pantry or fridge
- Sensors that detect soil moisture or snow pack to prevent disasters or warn of them
- Smart street lights that adapt to the weather and light conditions
Imagine anything that you ever need to know anything about and add a sensor to it to report that back to you. That is the IoT.
Healthcare is ripe for these tools
- Fitness monitors [11:11]
- Monitor patients at home
- Caps that detect if you have taken your meds correctly and alerts someone if you haven’t
- Ralph Lauren has biometrics polo shirt already [13:35]
- Complete baby monitors for SIDS symptoms and more
- Ingestible pill sensors powered by your stomach fluid and communicates when you took your meds and what you took [14:40]
- Alarm buttons that works with sensors placed around the house to watch after aging family members.
- ECG, heart rate, etc sent automatically to your doctors office daily for review